Monday 30 March 2015

Resolution: Chapter Three - The Performance

My Links:
Twitter               Tumblr               Instagram

I always think these Resolution series titles sound extremely sinister. Like I'm going to unveil some amazing, never-heard-before philosophical question that's going to blow all your minds. It's a bit anti-climactic really, isn't it?

Anyway, last Tuesday (24th March) it was my drama exam. As you know, this series is all about putting myself out there, doing things I wouldn't normally do etc. But, the thing is, it isn't just the Drama exam that's part of the resolution, it's taking the class in the first place.

If I was still like I was with my 'mental health issues', (I hate when people call them issues, it's like they're telling you that there's a magical switch inside your head that you just have to find and flick, and everything will be solved. Horseshit.) I wouldn't have even considered taking  a subject in which I have to stand up in front of other people on a weekly basis and make myself look like a tit. Seriously, I bet you're thinking 'why did you take it if you're not good at it?'. It's not that I'm not good at it, it's that we were doing a play about a child Neo-Nazi, so you'd understand why we looked just a tiny bit weird. I wish I'd taken photographs to show you, but it turns out that my teacher will soon be uploading the video to the internet. Which is great. I'm not going to tell you how to find it. (Here's a lovely example of the weirdness. I wouldn't even worry about this, this is pre-watershed stuff. You should've seen the rest of it. Actually, no, you shouldn't.)

I also suppose it doesn't help that, 10 minutes before we went on-stage, out teacher told us, basically, that 3 out of the 6 people in our group were shit - one of them being me. Great teaching method, there. What a way to instill confidence in your pupils. Claps for you. Well done. But, overall, we were quite proud with our performance, even if the eyeliner we used on our arms as part of our costume has possibly marked my skin for life. Why did I tell you that, that wasn't an interesting anecdote at all.

So, long story short, performance went well, my drama teacher is a dick and I don't regret taking the subject at all... even though I might be dropping it next year... but, hey! I mean, I loved taking drama, it was fun and all, but I don't see me needing it to get into university. And I'm not backing down from my resolution - I'm going to university! That's definitely something I wouldn't even have dreamed of considering even a year ago. Even if I'm going to be in life-shattering debt for the rest of my life. Woo! Yeah! Three cheers for bankruptcy!

R.

                                          (I'm sure they'll appreciate this immensely)