Monday 26 January 2015

The Theory of Everything: Review

My Links:
Twitter               Tumblr               Instagram

Wow. Where to start with this film. The Theory of Everything, if you've never heard of it, takes an outside look at the physicist, Stephen Hawking, and his wife, Jane, and their journey (I hate that word. Journey. It reminds me of something they'd say on the X Factor. I hate the X Factor.) through their relationship and Stephen's battle with motor-neuron disease. Yes, that's what we were throwing buckets full of ice over our heads for last summer.

The film is directed by James Marsh and is based on the book written by Jane herself. The film also stars actors Eddie Redmayne (Les Miserables, My Week with Marilyn) and Felicity Jones. (Chalet Girl... shut up, I love that film). Basically, this is the best drama I've seen in a long while and will probably be my favorite for 2015 - unless J. J. Abrams doesn't balls up Star Wars. Nobody understands how excited I am for that, by the way. I can't decide whether I'm excited for it to be really good or really bad, either way, it'll give me something to talk about.

Anyway, Eddie Redmayne's performance really stood out for me - as it must've done for quite a lot of other people, seeing as though he's bagged himself an Oscar nomination. But the way he manages to contort his body and face as you watch him slowly deteriorate is amazing. And the chemistry between the two actors is incredible, and the way they balance this heavy story-line out with occasional humor is incredible, David Thewlis' performance is incredible - everything is pretty good, OK? And, yes, technically this is a romance/drama film, but I know people who have been dragged to go see this by their girlfriends, who hate 'love stories' and have no interest in Hawking's work, and have come out of the cinema singing its praises.

I encourage you to, at least, give this film a chance. and if this video of Eddie Redmayne doing the ice bucket challenge with cool-ass Windows Movie Maker effects and slow-mo doesn't convince you (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69A8XmX4xsk) then nothing will.

(9.5/10. Because nobody's perfect. Not even Chalet Girl)

R.
(all images presented are not my own and I do not own the rights to any. All rights go to and belong to those who own them)